What You Need to Know About Redistricting
State and Federal law requires that if the differences in populations between the various districts are too large, then a redrawing of the district boundaries must take place. The 2020 Census data shows that to be the case in Rhode Island. As a result, the State of Rhode Island General Assembly has established a reapportionment commission to advise them on plan alternatives and has hired a redistricting consultant to assist the process.
The General Assembly must have a new plan in place in time for the filing deadlines for the 2022 elections. Your opinions count!
The Redistricting staff is happy to hear from anyone interested in knowing more about the project. Questions about the process or comments related to any redistricting topic (communities of interest, neighborhoods, etc.), as well as scheduling an appointment to see the redistricting system or draw alternative configurations with the aid of redistricting staff can be made by contacting staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 401-222-3876.
Public Information Event
Monday, November 29, 2021 6:00pm – 7;45pm – Rochambeau Library
Providence League of Women Voters invites you to a Providence Conversation, Redistricting Providence: Counting Our City, Dividing Our City
Guest Speaker: Jessica Cigna, Chair, Committee on Ward Boundaries
Space is strictly limited: RSVP 401-272-0422 email@example.com
Resources about the redistricting process:
- https://www.riredistricting.org/ - the state of Rhode Island’s redistricting website, created by a consultant, includes two tools to help public redraw their own boundaries and also provides lots o finformation.
- free open source tools to check out boundaries and draw your own
- tools at the RI Secretary of State's office that are also free
- https://ridos-neighborhoodblock-ristate.hub.arcgis.com/ - Census Block level, not available on mobile devices
- https://ridos-censusdata-ristate.hub.arcgis.com/ - Municipal level, is available on mobile devices
- Report about the Making Connections Neighborhood Map drawing
- And here's more of the data tools that are available at SOS.RI.GOV