General Info and School Projects
- WatchKnowLearn.org - Excellent educational K-12 videos.
- SmithsonianEducation.org - Kid-friendly info based on Smithsonian museum collections and research.
- HowStuffWorks.com - Explains everything, from engines to lock-picking to ESP.
- RIF Kids Discover - Visually appealing science and social studies articles for elementary and middle school students.
- Mocomi.com - For all ages, packed with educational content, interactive stories and fun activities.
- FunBrain.com - Online educational games for children and youth (preschool - 8th grade) in many subjects (e.g., math, reading, science).
Math and Science
- APlusClick.com - Games, logic number puzzles, geometry, algebra, word problems. K-12.
- MathIsFun.com - Math explained in easy language, plus puzzles, games, quizzes, worksheets, and a forum. For grades K-12.
- PBS SciGirls - Join SciGirls and have science fun online with other girls like you!
- Almanac4Kids.com - A children’s version of the Old Farmer’s Almanac. Contains facts about weather, star gazing, history and more!
Computers and Technology
Scratch.MIT.edu - A free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations; graphical application gives kids a taste of programming.
TypingWeb.com - Free online typing tutor & keyboarding tutorial for typists of all skill levels; includes entertaining typing games, and typing tests.
Reading, Language, and Literacy
AskRI.org / Mango Languages - A free online language-learning program that can help kids learn foreign languages like Spanish, French, Japanese, (or even Pirate!), or choose from 15+ ESL courses.
YourDictionary.com - An easy-to-understand dictionary with example sentences, famous quotes, and audio pronunciations.
Games & More
Sports and Celebrities
- SIKids.com - Sports news, games, cartoons, and fantasy leagues.
- Act.MTV.com - A blog celebrates and tell stories of young people, celebrities, and organizations taking action to make things better.
- Fairies.Disney.com - Believing is just the beginning! Play online games and download activities in this safe Neverland of fun.
- Switchzoo.com - Make new animals in Switch Zoo by switching the heads, legs, and tails of 142 diverse species!
- Crayola.com - Do-it-yourself (DIY) crafts; great for home-based activities!
- Try to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browser (and not use Internet Explorer) if you have the option. It’s faster, much better for gaming and video-streaming, and will crash less often.
- Never give your password to anyone (except maybe your parents).
- Always log out of any site on any computer you use to stay safe.
- Never share personal information with strangers online.
- If someone or something is making you uncomfortable, trust your gut and talk to someone you trust, like your parents or a librarian.