FINES WAIVED AND COMMUNITY FOOD BANK TO BENEFIT DURING BRING ‘EM BACK! WEEK
Providence Community Library (PCL) is missing more than 9,000 overdue items from its shelves and really wants them back! That’s the message of Bring ‘Em Back! Week, an amnesty event that will run at all PCL locations during the February school vacation. Those 9,000 missing items translate into a staggering $146,000 worth of fines. However, librarians aren’t looking to punish patrons or put them off using the library, they just want to get those books and DVDs back into circulation!
Overdue books are a major problem for all lending libraries. “Patrons hang onto books for all kinds of reasons,” said Laura Marlane, PCL’s Executive Director. “Some readers simply forget to bring them back, while others hesitate about mounting fines. Bring ‘Em Back! Week provides patrons with a worry-free, no-cost way to return overdue materials and it gives PCL a chance to show the public everything that a 21st century community library has to offer.”
PCL asks patrons to return overdue items, with one can of food (unexpired please!) for every $20 of fines owed, to any PCL location between February 17 and 21 and their fines will be waived (unfortunately, PCL cannot waive fines on items that have been referred already to an outside collection agency). The food will be donated to the Rhode Island Community Food Bank. Every patron who returns an item, checks out a new item or receives a new or replacement library card during Bring Em Back! Week will get a raffle ticket - the winner will receive an iPad Mini!
Mayor Jorge Elorza will be PCL’s special guest at a kickoff event at Knight Memorial Library on February 17. There will be similar events at all other locations with snacks, entertainment, and free books for children to take home and keep, donated by Book are Wings.
- Fox Point Library 90 Ives Street • Feb 17 • Tues • 4:00 p.m.
- Knight Memorial Library 275 Elmwood Ave • Feb 17 • Tues • 3:00 p.m.
- Mount Pleasant Library 315 Academy Ave • Feb 17 • Tue • 3:00 p.m.
- Olneyville Library 1 Olneyville Sq • Feb 18 • Wed • 4:00 p.m.
- Rochambeau Library 708 Hope Street • Feb 18 • Wed • 2:00.p.m.
- Smith Hill Library 31 Candace Street • Feb 20 • Fri • 3:00 p.m.
- South Providence Library 441 Prairie Ave • Feb 17 • Tues • 2:00 p.m.
- Wanskuck Library 233 Veazie Street • Feb 19 • Thurs • 3:00 p.m.
- Washington Park Library 1316 Broad Street • Feb 19 • Thu • 4:00 p.m.