The City of Providence has advised Providence Community Library to close its locations from Saturday, March 14th - Saturday, April 4th. This time period may be extended if Governor Raimondo recommends that schools remain closed for longer than one week. All public schools are closed this week under order of the Governor.
Since we can't be with you in our libraries, here are several useful, fun and informative resources for you during this challenging time.
Books, coloring club, making and more!
Out of work? Apply right away for one of the following:
- Unemployment from Job Closure - Unemployment Insurance
- Unemployment from Illness (yours or a loved one's) - Temporary Disability/Caregiver Insurance
- (One-page explanation of each situation/benefit)
- Hospitality Workers - request relief funds and/or childcare
Small Business Concerns
- RI Commerce: COVID-19 RI Resources and Information for Businesses
- Small Business Disaster Assistance in Response to the Coronavirus
Learning About COVID-19/Coronavirus
- CDC General Guidance and Information
- CDC Preparation and Prevention Resources
- World Health Organization Guide
- City of Providence - FAQs
Health and Family Concerns
- HealthSource RI enrollment is now open through April 15th for health coverage
- You can get your prescriptions delivered for free by CVS, Walgreens, and Green Line Apothecary.
- Does your baby need diapers? Search for organizations distributing free ones for those in need.
- List of virtual AA meetings for those in recovery.
- How to stay safe/help survivors stay safe in situations of domestic violence
- Grab and Go Meals for Students - There are no ID or residency requirements, but the child must be present; schools cannot give a meal to an adult on behalf of a child.
- Meals on Wheels for homebound seniors age 60+ who are unable to make nutritious meals for themselves due to physical or psychological limitations
- Map of Rhode Island Food Banks
- Stop and Shop Store Hours for 60+
Taxes and Financial Concern
- File/pay your taxes by July 15th (original deadline of April 15th is still preferred, but will not be enforced)
- Be wary of price gouging and scams (ex: hand sanitizer, toilet paper), and report instances to the RI Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Unit by emailing "> or calling 401-274-4400 or filling out this online form.
Utilities and Cellular Plans
- National Grid Service & Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Please continue to pay if you can but there will be no terminations of service during coronavirus quarantine timeline (April 16th currently)
- Low-income families with kids K-12 can apply for a reduced rate high speed internet through Cox plus for those who qualify due to Cox Coronavirus (COVID-19) response
Government Concerns and Action Items
- Vote in the RI Primary by mail - must be submitted by April 7th
- Sample Script to ask Congress to include those experiencing homelessness in coronavirus relief measures
- Take the 2020 Census
To Donate *
- Blood (urgent need)
- Medical Supplies
- Supplies for People Experiencing Homelessness
- Hospitality Relief Fund, Providence
- RI Pride Food, Toiletries, and Sanitation Drive
- Let's Erase the Stigma Mutual Aid Sign Up Sheet
- AMOR Sign Up Sheet
* Check out Charity Navigator to ensure that your chosen organization is reputable and that your donated money/materials are being distributed appropriately
Providence Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Ward 1 (Downtown & Southern East Side)
- Ward 3 (Northern East Side)
- Ward 12 (Smith Hill)
- Ward 13 (Federal Hill & West End)
Support Small Businesses
- Order take-out or delivery from these RI restaurants
- Home Delivery from Farm Fresh RI
- Curbside Pickup with Urban Greens
Other Lists of Resources
Things to do While Home
PCL's Digital Resources
- AskRI.Org's robust suite of online resources will continue to be available to all Rhode Island residents 24/7.
- Google Arts & Culture: Virtually visit world famous museums and landmarks!
- Instagram account full of Good News :)
- Instructables: YOURS FOR THE MAKING
Instructables is a community for people who like to make things. Come explore, share, and make your next project with us!
- Join RISD Musem's Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathon on Zoom
- New England Aquarium: Live streaming viewings.presentations and at-home projects
- Providence Athenaeum, online archived programs etc
- WRIK Entertianment Virtual trivia!
Could be fun as a jeopardy/game resource for families