PCL Friends Groups Roles and Activities
PCL Library Friends Groups support and are encouraged to promote quality library service in the community through advocacy, fund-raising, volunteering, and community outreach. Friends Groups, through their representation on the PCL Board, also help to govern PCL. They achieve these goals by fulfilling the following objectives:
Help with Library Programming
- PCL Friends groups help PCL strengthen the cultural and intellectual life of the community.
- Friends groups organize and sponsor programs that promote community enrichment.
Advocacy and Community Outreach
- Friends groups raise awareness of library services and programs to the general public and assist with community outreach efforts.
- Friends groups are encouraged to serve as advocates on local and state library issues and to advocate for PCL to city officials and state legislators.
- PCL Friends groups raise funds to support the activities of their Friend's group and to help fund their library’s services, programs and needs.
- Friends groups are encouraged to support and help promote PCL’s fundraising activities.
- Each Friends group elects or otherwise designates a representative of their group to serve as a board member of PCL for a term of two years.
- PCL Board members designated by Friends groups attend and participate regularly in PCL Board meetings; represent at the Board the particular concerns of their libraries; and share information with their Friends groups regarding board decisions, system-wide PCL programs and other library-related developments.
- Friends groups support the policies of PCL adopted by the PCL Board.
- Designated representatives of Friends groups regularly participate in the meetings of the All-City Friends Council and report back to their Friends Group.