FOR ADULTS | FOR KIDS & TEENS
Doing nothing is no longer an option!
Learn the facts & examine your unconscious bias.
- Writing on Race and Racism in America
- Take the 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge
- The White Privilege Checklist
- Black Lives Matter: Community Read
- The White Journey to Racial Awareness
- Racial Equity Trainings- The RI Foundation
- Antiracist Reading Lists
Help educate others.
- Talking About Race - From the National Museum of African American Culture and History
- How to Talk about Race, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Through a Social Justice Lens
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Anti-Racism - Wealth of resources including articles, videos, educational guides, and more.
- Racism and Violence: How to Help Kids Handle the News - From the Child Mind Insititute (available in English and Spanish)
- Beyond the Golden Rule: A Parents' Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice - From Teaching Tolerance
- Racism and Violence: Using Your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five - From Zero to Three (available in English and Spanish)
- How to Talk to Kids about Race and Racism
Support local and national organizations and movements.
- Institute for the Study and Practice of Nonviolence
- Stages of Freedom
- African Alliance of RI
- RI Black Heritage Society
- Showing Up for Racial Justice
- Urban League of RI
- RI Black Business Association
- Sista Fire RI
- RI Coalition of Black Women
- Center for Reconciliation
- EduLeaders of Color Rhode Island
- Black Lives Matter
- Color of Change
- Racial Equity Institute - Helping leaders and organizations who want to proactively understand and address racism.
- BOLD (Black Organizing for Leadership and Dignity)
- Blackout Collective - Supporting black-led protests.
- Advancement Project - A next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization.
- Live Free USA - Social justice action within faith communities.
Speak up for your community & get involved.
- Moveon.org petition - Racism Meets Criteria for Threat to Public Health
- RI for Community and Justice - Fighting bias, bigotry and racism.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice - “A call to action for white folks.”
- Fair Fight - Promoting fair elections and fighting voter suppression of voters of color and young voters.
- The Sentencing Project- Take action on criminal justice reform.
Copwatch- Watching the police as a community defense tool.
FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS | FOR ADULTS
Local Organizations and Action Groups
- Providence Student Union - Providence youth helping reshape their schools and communities.
- PRYSM - Supports Southeast Asian youth in becoming leaders.
- Stages of Freedom - Programming and empowerment for inner-city youth.
- Young Voices - Transforms urban youth into powerful advocates who have a voice in every aspect of their lives.
- Youth in Action - Provides transformative leadership training to youth.
- Youth Pride - Aiding youth impacted by sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
Anti-Racism Project - Interactive experiences to learn about institutionalized racism, internalized racism, white privilege, and more.
Brownicity - Advocacy, education, and support for racial healing and antiracism.
Showing Up for Racial Justice - National network of groups and individuals organizing white people for racial justice.
Learning and Teaching Resources
Anti-Racism Resources - Articles, books, TV shows, films, podcasts, and organizations to follow.
Center for Racial Justice in Education - Resources including interviews, tips for parents, articles, examples, and more.
NOLO Resources for Anti-Racism - Compilation of resources including articles, podcasts, and teaching tools.
Social Justice Toolbox - Resource hub for free, curated social justice activities and facilitation guides.
Teaching Tolerance - Resources to help youth become active participants in a diverse democracy.
Raising Anti-Racist Children
- Brightly Anti-Racist Resources for Kids - Books and resources to help raise anti-racist children.
- The Conscious Kid - Instagram dedicated to parenting and education through a critical race lens.
- Embrace Race - Resources and action guides for parents to help fight systemic racism.
- PBS: How to Talk to Your Kids About Anti-Racism - Wealth of resources including articles, videos, educational guides, and more.
- Your Kids Aren't Too Young to Talk About Race - Resource roundup including books, articles, tips, and more.
- Anti-Racism Books for Kids - New York Times list of books that explain racism and protest to kids.
- Coretta Scott King Book Award Winners - Books by outstanding African American authors and illustrators. This list offers every single recipient of this award, from 1970 onward.
- Embrace Race: Where to Find Diverse Books - An excellent resource- and link-rich page on how to select--and where to find--high-quality books for children featuring Black and Indigenous People and People of Color (BIPOC).
- Insider’s List of 16 Anti-Racism Books for Young Children - A list including a link to support black-owned bookstores.
- Reading for Change: Booklist-Recommended Antiracism Titles for All Ages - Leveled reading suggestions for adults and youth.
- We Need Diverse Books - Helps to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people.
- Integrated Schools Podcast - Hard conversations about race, parenting, segregation, and inequities in our schools.
- KidLit4BlackLives Rally - Recording of the rally including several prominent speakers.
- Kidlit These Days Podcast - An episode focused on transgender black voices in kidlit.
- Momentum: A Race Forward Podcast - Movement voices, stories, and strategies for racial justice.
- Pod for the Cause - Spark conversations and activism on some of the most critical issues of today.
- Scene on Radio - Exploring human experience and American society, including the Peabody-nominated Seeing White segment.
Starting Points for Anti-Racist Action